Weekend with the Kiddies!

2.26.2012

I am still grinning from ear to ear as I write this! I just got back from watching two of my favorite girls from my first class at their junior cotillion ball, and they were so beautiful and precious and all things adorable! They had to get all fancied up in white dresses, wear gloves, and dance with boys!

But, the best part, was that one of my girls, Roxanne, won the "Best Mannered Teacher" essay contest, and guess who she wrote about. Yours truly! I got a call a couple of weeks ago letting me know that Roxanne had won, and they wanted me to come to the ball because she was going to be reading the essay and they wanted me there with her! I seriously got teary eyed when I heard this because I've only been teaching for two and a half years, and it was so reaffirming to know that despite the stress, long hours, and endless paper work that it's so worth it because of the relationships I build with my students! I love my kiddies like they are my own. I dream big for them. And I try my best to keep those relationships after they leave my classroom, which is another reason why this was so special...I taught Roxanne two years ago...and I know the teacher's she's had before and since me, and they are amazing. I feel so honored that she wrote about me!

Kyle and I got all gussied up and headed downtown to watch the ball until it was time for the essay. We had such a good time...awkward boys who are way shorter than the girls, all of the youngin's looking like they would rather be anywhere else than there...what's not to love!? Roxanne did such a great job reading her essay, and it was just an all-around great night!



And this wasn't the only shin-dig I went to for my students this weekend. 3 of my current girlies all play on a basketball team together and really wanted me to come watch, so I was excited to make it out to one of their games on Saturday. I asked Kyle to go with me, and he cracked me up, saying, "Oh yeah, you know I'm such a big follower of 3rd grade women's basketball," but of course he came! We had a great pre-game date at Panzanella and even took a trip to Maple View Farms to indulge in their homemade ice-cream and waffle cones...amazing! The girls were super excited to see me at the game, and we cheered hard for them! Again, if you really want to be entertained, might I recommend childrens' events? There was a game of Kindergarten boys on the court beside the girls, and Kyle and I just died watching them! Too stinking cute!

I love my job. Enough said!

I hope everyone had a great weekend!

6 comments :

  1. This is so cute! Your students must love having a teacher like you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is adorable! reading this made me so excited for teaching and is such a beautiful reminder of all the lives you are touching!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so incredibly sweet, you seem to be such a dedicated teacher. I'm glad you had such a wonderful time during the weekend!

    http://glamourxkills.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laura that is so so so fantastic! Reading this is just making me hope and pray that I can really find a job for next year and start my career. That definitely speaks volumes to you as a teacher! Congratulations!!! Seriously, that's amazing. I'm so happy for you, and your students too!

    ReplyDelete

Made With Love By The Dutch Lady Designs