Secret Veggie Mission Accomplished

9.13.2011

Y'all...I hate vegetables. Like reaaaallllyyy hate them. For the first 18 years of my life the only veggie I would eat was green beans from a can. Thank the good Lord that I lived with Beebs during college because she got me eating some more veggies...specifically limas and edamame. Which left me with 3 veggies that I ate, except for then I realized that I was all green-beaned out and I could NEVER remember whether you needed a chicken or beef flavored bouillon cube when I was at the grocery store, so to be honest, I was really down to two veggies. Since then I've added onions, peppers, zuchinni, squash, and occasionally, tomatoes to my list. But, if I had a choice...I would go without in a heartbeat. But, the blog world and Pinterest entered my life in some divine form of intervention, and I realized that you could actually hide veggies in smoothies! 4-5 cups of spinach (which is sure to score me at least 2 servings of veggies....or is that wishful thinking?) hidden in a deliciously fruity smoothie.  Ummmm, yes please!  

So...I gave it a try! I followed this Green Smoothie Recipe from the Greener Eating blog for my initial attempt. I used strawberries and a banana for my fruit, but I cut the recipe in 1/2 because it seemed like a lot for just me. Turns out...it still was because I had enough for Kyle to gag down try. 
Yes..it's brown...but you just have to get over that! 

The verdict... Not bad! I definitely needed to use less lemon juice and the other banana definitely would have made it a little sweeter. But, like the true champ that I am, I proudly finished that sucker. You're absolutely welcome, dear body of mine! 

But, Day 2's attempt was a HUGE improvement, and it wasn't hard to finish at all! 

The secret...I added a little scoop of this delicious Soy Protein (I bought it from The Vitamin Shoppe)


and 1 TBSP of Flax Seed 

with the same recipe as yesterday (minus the lime juice). Super delicious! Super healthy! It's a win-win. 

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to go call my grandparents and tell them I ate some spinach today...they've been so worried about my lack of veggie-intake for years! 

2 comments :

  1. Get it girl! And check your email =) Love the His and Hers tumblers!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My tumbler was the one with Pink Flip-Flops!

    ReplyDelete

Made With Love By The Dutch Lady Designs